Maternal Influences Make a Difference


A team of researchers in China and Australia generated statistics that suggest a mother’s influence may actually be more important than a father’s influence when it comes to racing ability. Is this study a fluke of statistical analysis or is there solid science behind it?

In the paper “Potential role of maternal lineage in the Thoroughbred breeding strategy,” published in Reproduction, Fertility and Development in May 2015, by Xiang Lin, et al., the racing ability of 675 Australian Thoroughbreds was categorized by average earnings per start as an indicator of quality of performance and ranked from highest to lowest. The top 30% of earners were put into the “Elite” group of performers and the remaining 70% into the “Poor” group.

Read the full story here

One thought on “Maternal Influences Make a Difference

Leave a Reply